Monday, September 8, 2008

Cactus Patchers Getaway

I have belonged to Cactus Patchers for nearly 20 years. We are a chapter of the Arizona Quilt Guild. I've had so much fun and met so many nice and fun ladies. For the last 13 years we have been going to a camp at Emmanuel Pines in Prescot to sew, eat, gab, laugh, shop and just have fun. The theme for this fall getaway was Pirate Treasury. I have some fun pictures to share.
This is the building we met in to sew. Its a little walk down to the dining room where the camp staff cooked for us. The meals were so good. We sew upstairs in this building which is really a chapel for the Methodist camp.

Mary Hartmann and I made the raffle quilt and titled it Pirates Lost in the Bermuda Triangle. (The quilt pattern was called Bermuda Triangle.)Here I am working on the label for the quilt. The weather was wonderful outside.
Here is the finished quilt. A lucky winner won the quilt.

Mary and I shared a table and set up our sewing machines and sewed all weekend. I worked on a Christmas quilt (Twelve Day of Christmas in a Pear Tree), a Christmas calender quilt (you can change the dates each day,) a one block wonder quilt (I made 114 blocks,) and started the church row for the row by month quilt (another Christmas quilt which I've had the fabric since 1999.) I had two other projects to work on but ran out of time.


Here are several ladies - Monica, Barbara and Mary L. who took our theme to heart and dressed up as pirates.








I got lucky and won the thread basket. Those who wanted to could contribute a thread spool for the raffle.


There were only 19 of us at camp this fall. There are usually between 27 and 30 ladies. But this gave us more room to set up our machines, fabric and stuff. Here is the sewing room with the sewing machines humming away and everyone working on different projects.


The winner of our quilt did not attend the getaway. That was a disappointment but Ike, the camp director, modeled the quilt for everyone and wore the tierra (He has a bald head.) and gave the famous wave. It was fun.

I've had a fun time with some really nice ladies who share the same interests I have. I've known many of them for years and appreciate their friendships.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

This looks like so much fun. It sounds like you were able to accomplish a lot while you were there. I would love to see more of the quilts you've created. I think you do a beautiful job. The quilt you made for the giveaway is gorgeous.

Kristin said...

It looks like you had a great time! How nice to get away with friends and enjoy the nice weather and all that sewing. I will want to see those finished Christmas projects! What a lucky person that won the quilt you worked on.