Friday, March 13, 2009

Our Spoiled Molly

Our little Molly, who is definitely spoiled rotten and has an attitude, bit me. I had given her a bath and then tried to trim around her eyes. She didn't like this of course. Her hair grows so strangely, making long eyebrows and eyelashes and a mess under her eyes. Cocker Spaniel's eyes always run anyway and then can mat under the eyes. She snapped at me and I reprimanded her and put her in the kennel mainly so she will dry and not run outside wet and get dirty. Since she was in the kennel, it was a good time for Maggie, Julie's Cocker Spaniel, to play with a soft, rubber ball I had gotten her but Molly wouldn't let her have. You see, Molly is very possessive of all the toys. Molly just shook in the kennel wanting to get out so badly to take over that toy. I put away the toy when Molly was dry and let Molly out of the kennel. She looked all around for the toy. I wanted to groom Molly so had to take her outside to cut her hair on a table out there. I couldn't catch Molly so told Julie to give her the toy hoping she would play with it or keep it in her mouth while I groomed her. Julie just gave the ball to Molly and when I reached down to pick up Molly she bit me. What a bite. There was a quarter inch hole in the top of my hand, hardly any blood but when I looked at the hole and moved the skin around, I could see something white which turned out to be the tendon. My hand swelled up and ached all the way up my arm. I could barely move the 3rd and 4th fingers. I really wanted to cry all evening, it hurt so badly. Jerry had me soak my hand in some Epsom salt so this morning it did feel better with more strength in the hand but the swelling still there. I saw Bro. Fullmer, who is a foot doctor and lives by me, and had him look at my hand. He said there was no evidence of infection at this point and the swelling would go down. The tendon was traumatized. I felt better knowing this and I wouldn't lose my hand. Ha! But want an ordeal.

2 comments:

Jackie said...

wow! I am glad your hand is ok :)

Liz said...

yikes!! that sounds like a nasty bite, I'm glad to hear that you are doing better.