Friday, May 7, 2010

An Auction with Sewing Machines

Cactus Patches, the quilt group I belong to, got an email that Sierra Auction had sewing machines to auction off on May 9th. Since I am not too happy with the tension for free motion quilting on my big expensive sewing machine :( I decided to see just what was being auctioned off. Another friend from Cactus Patchers went with. We were both two brave souls to try this. We went down to the auction place on Grand Ave. to preview the sewing machines. There were new and old machines there plus sewing cabinets and sewing frames. Ingrid, my friend, wanted the brand new Zuki which does free motion sewing and the type of machine that Sharon Schamber started out using to win on her beautiful quilts. But I wanted the same machine and there was only one. After much turmoil, I gave in and said she could bid on that machine and I would bid on the new Pfaff Grand Quilter which does the same thing for free motion. These machines only sew a straight stitch and free motion but go very fast.
Well the day of actual bidding came on Saturday. We listened to a caller before the sewing machines were being sold and I couldn't understand him at all. Thank goodness the caller we had could be understood and worked with everyone very well. We got help from Ray at 3 Dudes Quilting shop on how to bid. He said get the retail price, half it in half, subtract the tax and buyers fee and that should be the price to aim for and not get carried away in all the excitement. Wow the embroidery machines were going for $2400.00 to $2700. The 18" Pfaff Quilter went for $2700 and then a frame had to bought to use it. The machine I wanted came up for bid and before I knew it I had bought it. No going back after that. AND I got it at the price Ray said to aim for. Ingrid got her machine the same way. We were both very happy and relieved it was over.


0 comments: